If the Barbarians are destroyed, who will we then be able to blame for the bad things?

-Angela Carter-



Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm Marlo and I'm Fat

I'm not here to talk about being big and beautiful. That's covered in abundance all over the web, and while I applaud the sentiment, and have felt big and beautiful in the past, I'm about 100lbs past that now. These days I just want to be able to walk down the street without being physically and verbally attacked because of my size.

I'm not going to deny that much of my weight problem is because I've made some poor choices, but contrary to the propaganda many people spread as fact, there are other factors that lead to my weight gain that were out of my control. To deny those things would be equally as counter productive as denying my poor choices. The fact is I've gone from 125lbs to 320lbs because of my choices, genetics, a piss poor excuse for birth control, and 6 years of undiagnosed and untreated hypothyroidism.

Today I'm just introducing myself, which is, in itself, a terrifying thing given the growing trend of Fat Hate I see outside, on TV, on the internet, and even at the doctors office.

Hi! I'm Marlo and I'm fat.

Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.
- John F. Kennedy -
 

No comments:

Post a Comment